According to allcitycodes, all air travelers (non-immigrants and non-US citizens) to the United States must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination status before boarding an aircraft bound for the United States.

Exceptions to this policy are extremely limited:

  • Children under the age of 18
  • People who are medically unable to receive the vaccine
  • Emergency travelers who do not have timely access to a vaccine

You are considered fully vaccinated:

  • 2 weeks (14 full days) after their dose of an accepted single vaccine
  • 2 weeks (14 full days) after your second dose of an accepted 2-dose series
  • 2 weeks (14 clear days) after you have received 2 doses of a mixed combination of accepted COVID-19 vaccines given at least 17 clear days apart

If you do not meet these requirements, you are considered NOT fully vaccinated.

Vaccines approved by the US Food and Drug Administration:
1-dose: Janssen/J&J; 2-dose series: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna

Vaccines listed by the World Health Organization for Emergency Use (EUL):
1-dose: Janssen/J&J; 2-dose series: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Covaxin, Covishield, BIBP/Sinopharm, Sinovac

Accepted proof of COVID-19 vaccination

  • Vaccination card with QR code, digital passport via smartphone application with QR code (e.g. European Union Digital COVID certificate)
  • Printout of a nationally issued COVID-19 vaccination card (e.g. vaccination card)

Proof of a negative COVID-19 test
Since June 19, 2022, proof of a negative COVID-19 test is no longer required upon entry.


  • The land borders to/from Canada and Mexico remain closed to passenger traffic.

Every child and every adult needs their own passport upon entry. Children cannot enter with their parents’ passport. Only machine-readable passports are accepted. Failure to comply may result in entry being denied.

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of countries participating in this program (including Austria) to travel to the USA for tourism or business purposes for a period of 90 days or less without a visa. Travelers wishing to travel to the United States under this program may stay in the United States for a maximum of 90 days. No extensions will be granted. Passports must be valid until the end of the trip.

Entry with an Austrian passport with a chip
Adult passports with a chip and digitized passport photo are issued in Austria, which can be used for visa-free entry into the USA up to the expiry date.

Children’s passport with chip
Only children’s passports with a chip (biometric passports) can be used for visa-free entry into the USA. Please make sure that the children’s passport has a chip! Attention: Children who do not have their own passport, but are entered in their parents’ passport, require a visa. Alternatively, a separate passport (with chip) can be applied for for those children.

Entry with (cream-colored) emergency passport Visa
-free entry into the USA with the cream-colored emergency passport is not possible. In certain emergencies, especially health or family emergencies, it is possible to apply for an Austrian emergency passport at the US representation authority responsible for the place of residence and authorized to issue a visa (requirements include: arranging an “interview appointment”; cost currently: € 105; Processing time: at least 2 working days).

Transit in the USA
All the stated provisions also apply if the actual holiday destination is not the USA, but a US airport is only used for the onward journey ( transit ).

A visa is also required for travel purposes that are not tourism or business (e.g. journalistic work, studies, training, research, exchange programs, taking up work, au pairs, interns, etc.).

Exclusion from the Visa Waiver Program
Dual nationals who are also citizens of Iran, Iraq, Syria or Sudan are excluded from participating in the Visa Waiver Program.

Travelers who traveled to Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Somalia, Yemen or Libya after March 1st, 2011 are excluded from participating in the Visa Waiver Program . You must apply for a visa at the United States Embassy. The only exceptions are travelers who have stayed in one of these countries on a public contract as full-time employees of the federal government or as members of the armed forces.

Entry with a Cuban stamp in your passport
Please note that there may be difficulties when entering the USA if your passport contains a Cuban stamp because you have been in Cuba since January 12th, 2021 . According to the trade press, tourists whose passports have a Cuban stamp are increasingly being turned away.

Visa information, appointments for visa applicants
at the Embassy of the United States in Vienna
for calls from Austria:
Tel: 0720116000
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m

TSA Secure Flight Data

The US authorities require additional information from US travelers. For this reason, it is imperative that for each flight booking, the surname, first and middle name, date of birth, gender and, if available, the redress number are entered in the flight ticket! Otherwise it is no longer possible to issue a flight ticket. Please note that the Secure Flight information is also mandatory for all flights that fly over US territory (e.g. various destinations in the Caribbean, Central and South America)!

APIS – Advanced Passenger Information System

For flights to the USA, data that is not contained in the machine-readable passport is required as part of the “APIS Final Rule” (Advance Passenger Information System).

Like the APIS data (e.g. first and last name, nationality, passport number, date of birth and gender) these must be transmitted to the US authorities before departure.

The items for advanced data collection are:

  1. The first address during the stay in the USA (street, house number, city, zip code (zip code), province and state
  2. Country of residence
  3. The origin and final destination airport
  4. Information whether the passenger is in transit in the United States
  5. Entry into the USA is not possible without this information!

ESTA Electronic System for Travel Authorization

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows visitors from participating countries to travel to the United States for business and tourism purposes for a stay of up to 90 days without a visa. ESTA enhances the security of the VWP, allowing the US government to expand the membership of this program.

What is the Electronic Travel Authorization System, called ESTA?
The Electronic Travel Authorization System is an automated system used to determine the eligibility of travelers to enter the United States under the VWP. The system requires the same information as the paper Form 1-94W that travelers had to fill out before they could enter the United States.

Why is an ESTA travel authorization required for VWP travelers?
ESTA adds another layer of security, allowing DHS to determine in advance of travel whether a traveler is eligible to travel to the United States under the VWP and whether such travel is illegal or poses a security risk .

Who needs to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization?
All nationals or citizens of countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) who intend to stay in the USA for business or tourism purposes for a period of up to 90 days must have an entry permit obtained via ESTA in accordance with the VWP in the USA.

How do I apply for an entry permit into the United States?
To apply for an entry permit, please visit . Answer all the required questions and submit your travel authorization application electronically.

Are there translations of the ESTA form?
Yes. The ESTA website and the Help button are currently available in multiple languages. However, all questions must be answered in English.

Can a third party apply for travel authorization for me if I don’t have internet access?
Yes. A friend, family member, travel and tourism industry professional, or other third party may apply for a permit on your behalf. However, the traveler is responsible for the truth and correctness of all information provided on his/her behalf.

What information does a traveler need to complete the travel authorization application?
The traveler must provide personal information including but not limited to name, date of birth, passport and travel details, and answer questions related to entry eligibility under the VWP. Again, all answers must be in English.

Is there a fee for issuing a travel authorization?
Yes, there is a fee of USD 21 (approx. EUR 20) for issuing an ESTA travel authorization. BEWARE: any website that charges a fee higher than USD 21 per person is trying to scam you out of the difference! Therefore, apply for your ESTA travel authorization exclusively on the official website:

How long in advance of entry do I have to apply for a travel permit?
Applications can be submitted at any time prior to entry. We recommend that you apply for a travel authorization as early as possible, i.e. as soon as you are planning a trip.

ESTA must be applied for at least 72 hours before departure, short-notice applications are no longer permitted. Due to changes in the processing of ESTA applications, particularly short-term applications, so-called “real-time applications”, are no longer possible (e.g. at the airport). US Customs and Border Protection points out that applications must generally be made as early as possible, but no later than 72 hours before departure. Travelers without an approved ESTA application will be denied boarding.

How long is my travel authorization valid?
Travel permits are generally valid for a period of two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. A traveler may enter the United States multiple times during the validity period without having to apply for a new travel authorization through ESTA.

Do I need to re-apply for a travel authorization through ESTA at any time?
Yes. Under certain circumstances, it is necessary to apply for a new travel authorization via ESTA. This is the case, for example, if you have been issued a new passport or if you have changed your name, changed your gender, changed your nationality or if the answer to one of the yes/no questions in ESTA (e.g. after a final conviction) has changed. Once a travel authorization has expired, you will need to apply for a new ESTA travel authorization. Applicants can also update destination addresses or itineraries if they change after the ESTA is granted, although this is not mandatory.

How long does the Electronic Travel Authorization System take to process my application?
In most cases, after an online travel authorization application is successfully submitted, the Electronic Travel Authorization System will inform you of your application status almost immediately.

What possible answers can I expect?
Approval Granted: Travel Approved. Travel Not Approved: Traveler must apply for a nonimmigrant visa at a US Embassy or Consulate prior to entering the United States. Approval pending: Visit the ESTA website again within 72 hours for updates and to get a final decision.

If I am authorized to enter the United States through ESTA, does that mean I can enter the country?
Not necessarily. An e-travel authorization is simply an authorization to board an airplane or ship for the purpose of entering the United States visa-free. U.S. Customs and Border Protection ultimately conduct immigration controls at points of entry or customs pre-clearance facilities.

Should VWP travelers bring a hard copy of their ESTA to the airport?
no DHS forwards travelers’ ESTA status to airlines and shipping companies. However, DHS recommends that you print out the completed ESTA Application Form in order to have proof of the ESTA Application Number on hand.

What should I do if I am not granted travel authorization?
If your travel authorization application is denied but you do not wish to give up your travel plans, please contact a US embassy or consulate to apply for a visa. For more information on the visa application process, visit

I have a valid visa. Do I also have to apply for a travel authorization via ESTA?
no If you hold a valid visa, you may travel to the United States on that visa while it is valid and for the purpose for which it was issued. You do not need to submit a travel authorization application through ESTA.

Extended catalog of questions for the ESTA application:

  • Are you known by other names or pseudonyms?
  • Place of birth
  • Surname(s) and first name(s) of parents
  • Personal contact details (address, email, telephone)
  • Emergency Contact Information in or outside of the United States
  • Information on employment

Existing ESTA approvals remain valid!

Please note that travelers absolutely need a visa in the following cases:

  • Individuals whose ESTA registration has been denied and individuals whose ESTA travel authorization has been revoked by the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and have received notification of this via email.
  • Citizens of all countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program who are also citizens of Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Syria. If previous information indicates dual citizenship with any of the four countries listed above, a valid ESTA travel authorization will be revoked.
  • Citizens of all countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program who traveled to Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Somalia, Yemen or Libya on or after March 1, 2011. The law provides for exemptions for military personnel or full-time government officials from countries participating in the program who have traveled to one of these countries as part of their professional functions.

Here you can find the ESTA leaflet in German.

Entry by land

If entering by land, you should be able to show proof of financial liquidity, proof of residency outside the United States, and your return flight ticket (ETIX printout). When entering by land, no ESTA registration is required.

The I-94W immigration form is only required for visitors arriving by land. The processing fee of USD 6 is payable directly to immigration at the time of entry. On the I-94W form, you provide personal information such as your passport number, an address, where you will be staying in the United States (hotel), and how long you will be staying.

Devices with an empty battery on flights from Europe

The Transportation Security Agency (TSA) requires travelers to overseas airports to turn on the devices they bring with them in front of inspectors. If the battery of a smartphone, laptop or tablet is empty, the passenger must leave the devices behind. In addition, further security checks are then to be expected. Devices without power will not be allowed on board. The security measures are carried out at airports with direct connections to the USA. We recommend taking a battery power bank with you for quick charging.

EU security rules at airports

You may only carry small amounts of liquids with you or take them with you in your hand luggage. These liquids must be filled separately in containers with a maximum capacity of 100 milliliters each. You must pack the containers in a transparent, resealable plastic bag with a capacity of no more than one liter.

At the airport you must:

  1. Present the plastic bag with the liquid containers to the inspectors at the security checkpoints for inspection.
  2. Take off your jacket and/or coat, which will be checked separately as you go through the metal detector.
  3. Remove laptops and other larger electronic devices from the bag so they too can be checked separately while going through the metal detector.

Liquids include:

  1. Water and other beverages, soups, syrups, creams, lotions and oils
  2. Perfumes, sprays, gels, including hair gel and shower gel
  3. The contents of pressurized containers eg shaving foam, other types of foam and deodorant pastes, including toothpaste
  4. Mixtures of solid and liquid material. All other items of similar consistency

You can still:

  1. Transport liquids in baggage that you check in at the check-in counter. The regulations only apply to hand luggage.
  2. Carry medicines and diet foods, including baby food, that are needed during the flight in your hand luggage. In this case, there is no limit to the amount of liquid you can take with you.
  3. Buy liquids such as drinks and perfumes at EU airports from shops located after the boarding pass control point.
  4. If these liquids are in a specially sealed bag, do not open the bag until you have gone through security! In these cases, too, there is no limit to the amount of liquid you can take with you.

Baggage Policy

Systematic explosives controls are carried out at airports. It is therefore recommended not to lock suitcases: The Transport Security Administration (TSA) has the right to force open luggage for manual checks. The TSA cannot be held liable for any damage and/or loss of content that occurs in this way.

So that your luggage does not come under suspicion in the first place, there are a few recommendations for packing:

  1. Carry groceries (for personal use only) in hand luggage
  2. When entering the USA, no food may be imported
  3. Don’t wrap gifts until after you arrive in the United States
  4. Books are best stowed next to each other instead of stacked

Customs Regulations
Fresh, dried, or canned meat and meat products are not allowed into the United States.
Adults 21 and over are allowed to bring 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 2kg of tobacco duty-free into the US, as well as 1 liter of alcohol (beer, wine or liquor) and gifts valued at $100. The importation of biological materials, chemical toxins, fireworks, plants and food is prohibited.

Means of payment that exceed the value of 10,000 US dollars must be declared and can then be imported freely. Contact US Customs Service for more information.

When re-entering Austria , please note that you may take TOBACCO GOODS (from the age of 17) with you as follows: 200 cigarettes, or 100 cigarillos (cigars with a maximum unit weight of 3 grams), or 50 cigars, or 250 grams of smoking tobacco, or a pro rata combination of these goods.

Alcoholic beverages (from the age of 17)
1 liter of alcohol and alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content of more than 22%, or
2 liters of alcohol and alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content of no more than 22% vol. or a proportionate combination of these goods Goods

than those mentioned above are duty-free up to a total value of EUR 300 per passenger or EUR 430 for air passengers.
For travelers under the age of 15, these two exemption limits are generally reduced to 150 euros (regardless of the means of transport used).

Important information

Austrian Embassy
3524 International Court NW
20008 Washington
Tel. (001) 202-895 6700
Fax (001) 202-895 6750
[email protected]

Party service:
Mon Fri: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m

In emergencies
The Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is there for you worldwide! In the event of an emergency abroad, you can reach the Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on the following number:
+43 50 11 50-4411 or +43 1 90115 4411
[email protected] , [email protected] ,

On the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs you will find tips for emergencies abroad, how to reach the Austrian embassies and consulates (with telephone numbers) abroad, current country and travel information for 193 countries, passport and visa information, citizenship issues, etc. All information is also very practical App for iPhone and Android and available (search in the App Store under “International Service”)

Security in the United States

Please note the following precautionary measures, then you need not fear anything:

  1. Avoid parks and side streets after dark.
  2. Watch out for pickpockets in crowded places.
  3. Do not take large sums of money with you.
  4. If someone knocks on your room door, call the front desk to inquire about the visitor.
  5. Do not leave any valuables or documents in your hotel room, but leave them in the safe.
  6. Carry your wallet on your body in a chest or leg pouch.
  7. If you trek on your own, only do so in small groups, but not alone.
  8. Striking jewellery, including costume jewellery, should be avoided.

Voltage AC power
is 110 volts everywhere in the United States. For the sockets you need an adapter plug (‘American plug’). The devices you take with you should be switchable from 220 volts to 110 volts.

Cell Phone
You need a tri-band cell phone to make cell phone calls in the United States (note: not all cell phones are tri-band cell phones). Outside the big cities and especially in remote areas (Monument Valley, in most national parks and in sparsely populated regions, it is usually difficult or almost impossible to get a signal due to the lack of network coverage). Almost all hotels offer WIFI (WLAN) hotspots (usually free of charge in the hotel lobby), so online communication is also possible in remote areas without any problems. Free WiFi is now also available in most hotel rooms.

Area codes
USA-Austria +43 – area code or cell phone number (without “0”) – phone number
USA-Vienna +43 – 1 – phone number
Austria-USA 001 – area code – phone number

Medical care

There is no agreement on health insurance coverage between Austria and the USA. Hospitals and medical care are very good in the USA.

We strongly recommend taking out a travel insurance package. According to the insurance conditions, the costs for acutely necessary medical assistance abroad are reimbursed, and the insurance also pays for any necessary repatriation from a flight. Check with your travel agent!

If you are dependent on medicines, please take a sufficient quantity of them with you from home in your hand luggage. If you need to take a certain medication, you should carry a copy of the prescription with you so that an American doctor can renew the prescription if necessary. We recommend taking a first-aid kit with you.

Vaccinations are not mandatory. We recommend that you consult your family doctor in any case.

National customs


It’s not uncommon for Americans to comment on Europeans’ bad manners. In many cases, this has to do with addressing strangers correctly. Although the salutation in the USA is relatively informal in most cases – you give your first name and are usually addressed with it – you should know that there are exceptions. People such as police officers or other officials are usually addressed with “Sir” or “Madame”. This also applies to people in higher positions such as university professors, doctors, artists or, in many cases, older people. These are addressed with “Mister”/ “Misses” and the respective family name behind it. If a friendly relationship develops, the other person will usually express that he/she can be addressed by their first name.
It should also be mentioned that there are quite big differences geographically. Especially in posh areas like some regions of New England or in Washington DC and in the “Deep South” people are more reserved than in the west. In any case, it doesn’t hurt if you’re careful. Usually, most Americans are quite casual and open minded.

There are only a few public toilets along the streets. Ask for the “restrooms” or “bathrooms” in department stores, hotels, museums, train stations or restaurants.

There are no national radio stations, but a variety of private broadcasting stations, often specializing in different music genres such as country, blues, jazz, music from the 60s or classical. Many of these radio stations only broadcast within a certain radius. As a rule, there is a significantly larger selection of stations in the metropolitan areas.
The television programming takes care of national broadcasting stations and many local channels broadcasting 24 hours a day.

Current Entry Requirements to United States Due to Corona

Current Entry Requirements to United States Due to Corona
Tagged on: