Minden, Nebraska is a small town located in Kearney County in the central part of the state. It has a population of around 2,000 people, most of whom are descended from German and Czech settlers who came to the area in the late 19th century. The town is situated on the banks of the Platte River and is surrounded by rolling hills and farmland. Minden has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and cold winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in Nebraska.
The history of Minden dates back to 1872 when it was established as a trading post near Fort Kearny. The town grew steadily over the years and by 1900 had a population of 600 people. After World War II, many new businesses opened in Minden which led to an economic boom that lasted until the early 2000s when some businesses closed or relocated due to global economic changes.
Politically, Minden is mostly conservative but there are also some liberal voices in town as well. The local government consists of five elected officials who serve four-year terms and oversee operations within city limits.
Education is important to residents in Minden and there are several public schools within city limits including an elementary school, middle school, high school, and community college. Private schools are also available for those seeking alternative education options.
One of the most popular landmarks in Minden is the historic Kearney County Courthouse which was built in 1883 and still stands today as a reminder of how far this small town has come over time. Other notable landmarks include Memorial Park which sits atop an old railroad bed from the 1800s as well as an old water tower from 1916 which now serves as a local museum dedicated to preserving Minden’s history for future generations.
Population: 2,964. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,913 (-1.7% change)
Males: 1,382 (46.6%), Females: 1,582 (53.4%)
Zip code: 68959
Median resident age: 40.2 years
Median household income: $40,092
Median house value: $74,300
Races in Minden:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.1%)
- Hispanic (2.3%)
Ancestries: German (40.4%), Danish (14.9%), Irish (13.6%), Swedish (9.6%), English (8.4%), United States (3.8%).
Elevation: 2172 feet
Land area: 1.6 square miles
Minden, Nebraska is a small town of about 1,800 people located in Kearney County. The population is mostly white with a small percentage of African American and Hispanic residents. The median household income is around $41,000 and the cost of living is very affordable. According to BestPlaces.net, the median home price in Minden is just over $100,000. Renters can expect to pay an average of $600/month for a one-bedroom apartment and about $800/month for a two-bedroom unit.
The town offers plenty of amenities for its residents including grocery stores, restaurants, banks, and other retail outlets. There are also several parks in the area that are well maintained and provide plenty of recreational opportunities such as fishing and camping. The schools in Minden are highly rated with good test scores and highly qualified teachers. The community also has several churches that provide spiritual guidance to its citizens. Additionally, there are many healthcare facilities available in the area including hospitals, clinics, dentists’ offices and pharmacies providing quality healthcare services at affordable prices.
For population 25 years and over in Minden
- High school or higher: 90.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 3.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Minden city
- Never married: 18.0%
- Now married: 65.8%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 8.7%
- Divorced: 7.0%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +205 (+7.4%).
Hospital/medical center in Minden:
- KEARNEY COUNTY HEALTH SERVICES-HOSP (727 EAST 1ST STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Minden:
- GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; KEARNEY, NE)
- RICHARD H YOUNG HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; KEARNEY, NE)
- FRANKLIN COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; FRANKLIN, NE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Minden:
- KEARNEY MUNI (about 16 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Abbreviation: EAR)
- HASTINGS MUNI (about 38 miles; HASTINGS, NE; Abbreviation: HSI)
- CENTRAL NEBRASKA REGIONAL (about 56 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Abbreviation: GRI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Minden:
- PIONEER VILLAGE FIELD (about 2 miles; MINDEN, NE; Abbreviation: 0V3)
- BREWSTER FIELD (about 27 miles; HOLDREGE, NE; Abbreviation: HDE)
- ALMA MUNICIPAL (about 39 miles; ALMA, NE; Abbreviation: 4D9)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Minden:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT KEARNEY (about 26 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,588)
- CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 41 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,730)
- FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 115 miles; HAYS, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,572)
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 135 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- BARTON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 148 miles; GREAT BEND, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- SOUTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE AREA (about 157 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,137)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT LINCOLN (about 158 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 19,806)
Public high schools in Minden:
- MINDEN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 260; Grades: 09 – 12)
- PHOENIX CENTER EAST (Students: 8; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Minden:
- C L JONES MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 333; Grades: 04 – 08)
- MINDEN EAST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 226; Grades: PK – 06)
Library in Minden:
- JENSEN MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $91,574; Location: 443 NORTH KEARNEY; 19,030 books; 519 audio materials; 1,335 video materials; 69 serial subscriptions)