What documents do you need for the application?

Since June 2014 there are new rules for Canada’s International Student Program, which also play a role for the application for the Study Permit. Only full-time students who are enrolled at a specially listed institution (Designated Learning Institution, DLI) will receive a study permit. You have to include the DLI number of the university in your application. You can find out whether your university is listed in Canada and what DLI number it has on the relevant CIC website.

You will need the following documents to apply for a Canadian study permit:

  • Copy of the admission notice Canadian University (Letter of Acceptance), including the DLI number
  • Passport that is valid for the entire duration of your stay
  • Current (not older than six months) digital passport photo; If you apply by post: two passport photos with your name and date of birth on the back
  • Proof of sufficient funds for tuition and living expenses (currently C $ 11,000 / year for Québec, C $ 10,000 / year for the other provinces / territories); for example by means of a confirmation from a credit institution or submission of bank statements from the past four months
  • Possibly a letter of explanation why the study permit is being applied for

Under certain circumstances, the CIC can subsequently request the following documents:

  • A current police clearance certificate
  • A health certificate

The Canadian university where you are studying will regularly inform the CIC whether you are still properly enrolled and progressing in your studies. Only if this is the case will the Study Permit be retained and you can stay in Canada, a major country in North America listed on beautypically. Otherwise, the CIC will withdraw your study permit and you will have to leave the country. The Study Permit expires 90 days after completing your studies.

Where can you apply for the Study Permit?

The Canadian embassy in Berlin no longer has a visa or immigration office. You must therefore apply for your study permit online directly at the CIC.The CIC website provides more detailed information on the online / on paper application, a detailed guide and the application package for download.

Costs and payment options

The study permit for Canada currently costs C $ 150. Payment is only possible by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express)

Working with the Study Permit

Studying in Canada is not a cheap affair, not least because of the high tuition fees. And the cost of living is also relatively high, especially in the big cities. BAföG abroad is not always an option and not everyone benefits from a scholarship. For many students who are considering studying in Canada, the question arises: Can I work in Canada alongside my studies and do I need a work permit?

In principle, international students are also allowed to work alongside their studies. Where and how much they are allowed to work depends on various factors. The Canadian government has launched various student work permit programs in this regard. In any case, you need a Study Permit and a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work on the side; in some cases you also need a work permit.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

As in Germany, everyone who works in Canada needs – if only for a few hours a week – a Social Security number (Social Insurance Number). You can apply for this free of charge from Service Canada. Permission to work on or off campus must be noted on your study permit (“may accept employment” / “may work” in Canada). If this is not the case, you have the option of having the CIC add a corresponding note.

For your application for a SIN, it is best to visit a Service Canada Office personally, as the Study Permit is only accepted in the original. The validity of the SIN is limited for the duration of your studies.

Working on campus

Requirements for a part-time job on campus (library, cafeteria, teaching assistant, etc.):

  • Valid study permit
  • Full-time student at a college or university in Canada ; private institutions must meet certain requirements
  • SIN

Working off campus

Since the new regulation of the International Student Program, it is now also possible for holders of a study permit to take part-time jobs outside of campus without having to apply for a work permit. Allowed are

  • 20 hours per week during the semester
  • Full-time during the semester break

You have to meet the following requirements in order to be able to work outside of campus alongside your studies:

  • Valid study permit
  • Full time student
  • The course must last at least six months and lead to an academic degree (Bachelor, Master, Ph.D.) or a diploma or certificate
  • SIN

So if you are only in Canada for a semester or year abroad, you can only work on campus.

Co-op programs and internships

In some degree programs, practical work experience is an integral part of the degree program. So if you are completing a complete Bachelor, Master or Ph.D. degree in Canada and take part in a so-called co-op or internship program, you need a work permit in addition to the study permit. To get a work permit, you have to meet the following requirements:

  • Have a valid study permit
  • The work must be an integral part of the study program
  • The job must officially cooperate with the university at which you are studying
  • The working time may not take up more than 50 percent of the total time of the course

The following study programs / courses are excluded:

  • English / French as a second Language (ESL / FSL)
  • General education programs / courses of study
  • Study preparation programs

Just like the Study Permit, you have to apply for the Work Permit via the CIC.

Work in Canada after graduation

Canada has several Post-Graduation Work Permit Programs (PGWPP), which enable you to stay in Canada after your Bachelor, Master or Ph.D. studies and gain work experience there for a maximum of three years. The requirements for this are different and of course depend on which program is suitable for you. With these programs, the Canadian government would like to encourage highly qualified professionals to live and work in Canada on a permanent basis.

Student Visa for Canada Part 2

Student Visa for Canada Part 2
Tagged on: