Used as a toy for children, transportation for some and training for others, pedaling is a great activity and we must delve into this theme. How about we do some pedaling?
The bicycle: variations and benefits
According to andyoutdoor, there are many variations of bikes: in the gym we find horizontal and vertical exercise bikes and those used for spinning classes, each with a purpose.
Ergometrics are more comfortable and with the largest saddle greater so that the student can spend more time sitting; The spinning ones have the smaller saddle and its format gives freedom of pedals faster and in foot, a good indoor training for competition cyclists.
The horizontal bicycles have backrest and the legs pedal in a vertical position, reason to have the backrest. She’s perfect for a spinal injury, for example. For it leaves the column in more comfortable position and with the help of the backrest the compression in the column is smaller.
On street bikes we can find numerous types of bicycles, which are classified as speed, BMX (used and dirt tracks) and mountain bikes (with obstacle courses).
Pedaling is an aerobic exercise (use oxygen Energy), so some advantages are already evident as:
- Cardiorespiratory improvement
- Decreased fat cells;
- Increased muscular endurance.
Other benefits may also be listed as lower level impact to the joints, cyclical movement that performed correctly presents lower risk of injury in addition to the great work of lower limbs.
Tips for better pedaling
The pedals have an effective role for the calf musculature (soleus and gastrocnemius), quadriceps (rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, vastus intermedio), and gluteus maximus in the propulsion phase; The hamstrings (biceps femoris, semitendinosus) and the tibia in the recovery phase.
Depending on the angle of the bike and the position of the cyclist can vary the musculature more demanded. No need to understand anatomy, but rather understand that pedaling is great exercise for your legs!
Besides, of course, being an efficient means of transport and a very enjoyable activity.
There is a lot of care to be taken so that pleasurable exercise does not become a nuisance or end in an injury. Some tips for your pedal to be more efficient:
– Remember the goal: when buying a bike, ask yourself: why do I want a bicycle? If it is to be used on weekends, a walking bike will do well. If it’s to train, maybe a speed is more attractive. The important thing is to know your goal and research so as not to get frustrated and to leave the skinny in the garage. (Read: Buying your bike)
– Look for specialized places: stores of this type will deliver a bike according to your goal and, best, with your measurements, bringing more comfort and satisfaction. It may come out a bit more expensive, but it’s worth the investment.
– Specific position: each type of bicycle requires a specific posture. The position of the trunk in BMX is not the same as in speed, for example. Find yours before you ride.
– Knee care: At the time of pedaling remember, knees always pointed forward. In the extension phase they can not extend too much and not be overdubbed, they should stay in semi-flexion to protect the joint and prevent injuries.
For your safety there are some rules that are worth remembering as helmet and signage, Ricardo Novo spoke more about this topic in another article. Not to be repetitive I indicate the link here. (Read: Pedaling Safely)
- Are you interested and want to go out there pedaling? I indicate some sites. If you prefer you can send questions to HdT.
Put on your helmet, do not forget the water and …